In order to keep your Catapult equipment functioning fully, it is important to have your PC up to date. Failure to do so can lead to performance issues with the PC and complications in your data collection.
There are two types of updates that should be installed whenever they become available:
- Windows Updates
- Driver Updates
How to check for and install Windows Updates?
- Click the search bar on the bottom left of your screen and type Windows Update settings, the result should appear similar to the screenshot below. Select the Open option.
- This will take you to the settings page. Click the button Check for updates as shown below.
Note: If an update has been released since the last time the PC automatically searched for one, it may incorrectly show as being up to date, despite needing attention. As such, it is important to check for updates even if it displays the "You're up to date" message.
- If there are any outstanding updates please download and install them and restart the PC when prompted to.
How to check for and install Driver Updates?
After completing the steps above, you will need to check for driver updates for the Manufacturer Software installed on your PC.
We will use Lenovo as an example here, but other common manufacturers include Dell, HP or Acer. If you are unsure on your PC manufacturer, please see the How to Determine PC Manufacturer section of this guide.
- Following the same steps as before, use the search bar on the bottom left corner to search for your Manufacturer Software. Start typing the Manufacturer's name (Lenovo in our example below) and select Open when it becomes available.
- This will take to the Manufacturer Software, which should contain a Check button - here it is displayed as "Check for System Updates".
- Select the relevant Check button - any missing updates will be displayed similar to window below. Be sure to select all available updates before selecting the Install option, shown as "Install Now" in the example:
Note: This is important to do regularly as this is most often not completed automatically and can impact the expected behaviour of your machine.
- Some updates will only become available once previous updates have been installed, so after downloading, installing and restarting the laptop, always check once more to make sure no other updates are pending.
How to Determine PC Manufacturer
If you are unsure on the Manufacturer of your PC, use the below steps.
- Click the search bar on the bottom left and type Run, then select Open once it is available.
- In the "Run" window, type dxdiag and select Ok.
- In the window that opens, search for the System Manufacturer (in the example below, it is Dell). Use this information to search for the Manufacturer Software when attempting to update your Drivers.