SportsMEDIA Technology Importer for Ice Hockey
The SportsMEDIA Technology (SMT) importer for Ice Hockey allows you to import gameday data into the OpenField Console as provided by SMT, the gameday tracking provider for the National Hockey League.
This importer uses an API to bring positional data into OpenField Console and process it to not only provide the game and period context, but also all positional metrics as provided with Catapult wearable tracking devices.
Once you have imported game data, you are able to perform all standard player in activity management functions such as PIP, rotations and annotations and viewing of individual player velocity traces on the timeline.
Please sync your Console once your import has completed to enable reporting on gameday data from OpenField Cloud.
How to import SMT Gameday data into OpenField Console
Navigate to the OpenField Console and select Data Importer from the main tile menu.
Select SMT from the Source type drop down menu.
Enter in your username and password as provided by the league (NHL) and click Next.Please note that in OpenField Console build 3.9+, this step will be automatic based on your account name and you will not have to input any credentials.
Select a season and your team from the drop down menus.
Check each game you want to import from the Download column and click Next.
Wait for download to complete. Once completed click Next.
Review the activity and click Next.
Check that the athletes are mapped correctly and fix any mappings that are highlighted red. Click Next.
Wait for processing to complete. The imported activities are now ready to be opened from the activities menu in the OpenField Console.
- This importer uses an API provided by the league. In order to use it, you need to ensure you have an internet connection at the time of entering your login credentials.
- SMT does not provide inertial data, therefore the result of this import is positional data only and the metrics that can be typically derived from positional data.
- Due to limits to the existing API you are only able to import one activity at a time, this will be something we look to extend in the future to allow multi-game import.
- Your login credentials are provided by the league and not Catapult directly. If you do not have login credentials please request these form your league representative.
- This importer does not include player rotations based on shift at this stage, and all player data imported will be relevant to the duration of the period only. You are still able to manually rotate players for the off ice periods should you wish.
- Player mapping is automated using a name matching system combined with the player jersey ID.